With all the stress and chaos that is the semester thus far (week three stress? I know, it’s craziness) it’s nice to take a second each day to water my plants. While I’m not an expert at keeping them alive they’re going pretty strong right now. I made a few changes and grabbed a few new products over the summer and the plants seem to be responding nicely, excluding the oregano which I think might be too close to death to save. But I haven’t given up!
- Ikea SOCKER Greenhouse: It keeps my plants safe from the hungry cat.
- Watering can: Du’h.
- Plastic spray bottle: To avoid over-watering I alternate between spritzing the leaves and pouring water on them. This might be total bullshit but they look like they’re doing better now that I’ve started using this technique.
- Miracle-Gro Indoor Plant Food Spikes: I called the hotline and they said these are safe in herb gardens assuming you wash the plants prior to eating them.
- Potting tools: Another du’h.
- Glass bell jar: It keeps the hungry cat safe from the cactus. I glued flattened marbles to the bottom to lift it up an inch.
- Cute pots: Preferably with a drainage hole, people! If your plant doesn’t drain you will end up with a disgusting garden and gnats. I know this from all the plants I have killed. You can also fill the bottom half of the pot with rocks (thanks for the tip, Mom!) to assist the drainage.
I think it looks pretty good! It’s been a fun trial-and-error project and a great reason to collect more kitschy, bullshit items like my super-rad flamingo. Side note, Yogurt has starring contests with the flamingo often and it is spectacular to witness.
Anyone have any luck keeping plants alive indoors? What about pet-safe plants?